Who We Are
New Vector is the open source software development startup which employs the core team behind Matrix.org – the leading project for secure open decentralised communication. Matrix’s mission is to create a universal open network and protocol for real-time communication. New Vector builds flagship apps for Matrix such as Riot.im as well as contributing to the core Matrix open source clients, SDKs, servers, bridges and the protocol itself.
We believe that the future of the internet should be decentralised and open, that previously siloed communications platforms should be interoperable and that individuals should control their own data and choose who they share it with.
Ultimately, our aim is to make it as simple to message or video call anyone in the world as it is to send them an email.
Our products are for everyone and we know we cannot succeed without a diverse team. Our hiring process is designed to be humane and give candidates the best possible chance to show us what you can do. If we ever fall down on this, please let us know.
The Support Engineer provides a first line point of technical contact for New Vector managed services and associated opensource projects.
As the first of its kind, the role will be very broad and will stretch from technical pre-sales through to hands on technical support for our open-source community, through to responding to community generated abuse reports.
Depending on the candidate, it is possible that the role could include some software development in the form of writing scripts to automate tasks and performing more complex analysis. As such this role could be an excellent route into a software development in the future.
The most important thing is that you believe passionately in the mission of decentralisation of the internet. More specifically that you believe that communications should not be centralised in the hands of a small number of very large organisations and instead individuals should control their own data and choose who they share it with.
Additionally we are looking for someone who is:
- smart, curious and enthusiastic
- an articulate communicator who takes great pleasure in helping others
- empathetic, with both their colleagues and the end user
- Is comfortable with the pace, trade offs and ambiguity of an early stage startup (specifically: how to take care of yourself and get your work done without working crazy hours).
The only hard requirement for the role is that you have sufficient technical background to understand the product and protocol. This means hands on familiarity with Linux, SQL and HTTP. If you run linux at home or have ever hosted any of your own software you’ll likely meet the required level. Technical requirements aside this is really a role about clear communication and problem solving, much of the assessment process will focus on these skills. Additionally it would be nice if any of the following are true.
- An interest in writing more generally, it could be a blog, or perhaps you write creatively.
- Pre existing knowledge of the matrix protocol, perhaps you have used Riot.im before?
- An interest in open source technology, especially if you are involved with a specific community somehow.
- An interest in messaging technology generally.
- Knowledge of a scripting language.
Our general approach is to treat people like adults and acknowledge that by being flexible we create an environment for people to do their best work. For more details here is our manifesto. That said specific points that differentiate us.
- Work (almost) full time on FOSS projects with high visibility and a large enthusiastic community
- Since our technology is relevant to anything that requires real-time comms, the role provides exposure to a wide range of domains from web and app dev through to VR, VoIP and IoT.
- Health, dental and travel insurance.
- Family friendly environment, many of the team have small children and we look to accommodate that as best we can.
- People tend to stay with the company for a long time, we take this a sign that we have a cohesive supportive culture, that we have engaging challenging work and that people can develop their skills and careers here for the long term.
- Free 'good' coffee.
- We like food a lot, we have some excellent chefs on the team, and Chiswick has some great places for lunch. You will eat well :)
New Vector does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.